Monday, August 31, 2015

A Study in Light and Love

"And then our Lord opened my spiritual eye and showed me my soul in the midst of my inner self. I saw my soul as large as if it were an endless world and as if is were a blessed kingdom; and by the circumstances I saw in it I understood that it is an honorable City. In the midst of that City sits our Lord Jesus Christ, true God and true man... And in this He showed the delight that He has in the creating of man's soul... And thus I understood truly that our soul can never have rest in things that are beneath itself [in the earth]... The highest light and the brightest shining of the City is the glorious love of our Lord as I see it." ~ Julian of Norwich (The Complete Julian, Chapter 67)

"And that which doth not edify is not of God, and is darkness. That which is of God is light; and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day. And again, verily I say unto you, and I say it that you may know the truth, that you may chase darkness from among you..." (D&C 50:23-25)

"As we learn in these scriptures, the fundamental purposes for the gift of agency were to love one another and to choose God. Thus we become God’s chosen and invite His tender mercies as we use our agency to choose God." ~ David A. Bednar, LDS General Conference, April 2005. 

 "So was I taught to choose Jesus for my heaven, whom I saw only in pain at that time. I desired no other heaven than Jesus, who shall be my bliss when I come there. And this has ever been a comfort to me: that I chose Jesus for my heaven, by His grace, in all this time of suffering and sorrow. And that had been a learning for me that I should evermore do so, choosing only Jesus for my heaven in well and woe." ~ Julian of Norwich (Chpt. 19)

"Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.... As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. 
AnnieHenrie.com
... If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father’s commandments, and abide in his love. These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full. This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you." ~ John 15:4-5, 9-12

"And the light which shineth, which giveth you light, is through him who enlighteneth your eyes, which is the same light that quickeneth your understandings; which light proceedeth forth from the presence of God to fill the immensity of space—The light which is in all things, which giveth life to all things,which is the law by which all things are governed, even the power of God who sitteth upon his throne, who is in the bosom of eternity, who is in the midst of all things. 
...He comprehendeth all things, and all things are before him,and all things are round about him; and he is above all things, and in all things, and is through all things, and is round about all things; and all things are by him, and of him, even God, forever and ever." ~ D&C 88:11-13, 41


Love is a conduit of light. The greater the love, the greater impartation of light, the greater capacitating power to absorb truth and grow in spiritual intelligence; the greater increase in glory. 

God's love is the sun by which we grow into our divine potential. His truth is the living water. This earth with the dunging, digging, and pruning we experience is the soil and garden we have been lovingly planted in to grow and progress. 


"And He gave me knowledge truthfully that it was He who showed me everything before... and said most sweetly: 'Be well aware that it was no raving that thou sawest today, but accept it, and believe it, and keep thyself in it, and comfort thyself with it, and trust thyself to it, and thou shalt not be overcome.'  
"These last words were said to teach true certainty that it is our Lord Jesus who showed me everything. ... And all this teaching and this true comfort is universal for all my fellow Christians as was said before--and this is God's will... 
"He said not, 'Thou shalt not be tempted; thou shalt not be troubled; thou shalt not be distressed,' but He said, 'Thou shalt not be overcome.' God wills that we take heed to these words, and that we be very strong in certain trust, in well and in woe, for as He loves and delights in us, so He wills that we love Him and delight in Him and strongly trust in Him; and all shall be well."  
 ~ Julian of Norwich (Chpt. 68)

No comments:

Post a Comment